School Community Council (SCC)
What is the SCC?
Our School Community Council (SCC) is a group of parents/guardians, employees, and administrators tasked with improving the educational programs and conditions within West High School. This includes, but is not limited to, serving in an advisory capacity and oversight to the administration and school board, developing the School LAND Trust Plan to guide the spending of LAND Trust funds disbursed annually, and developing a School Improvement Plan.
School LAND Trust Fund Report
One of the most important responsibilities of the SCC is to determine how to spend the funds received from LAND Trust.
For the 2019/2020 school year, we received $324,000 (including surplus) which funded:
- The Panther Excellence Program (PXP)
- The Advancement Via Individual Determination Program (AVID)
- Latinos in Action (LIA)
- English Language Learners (ELL)
- Professional Development for Teachers
For the current school year, we expect to receive $366,000.
How do I get involved with the SCC?
- Become a voting member. Everyone with a student at West is welcome and encouraged to join. Meetings are held on the second Monday of each month - September through May - from 5:30-7:30. Currently, all meetings are being held digitally on Zoom. Agendas with Zoom links can be found below prior to the meeting. The council is seated in September, with additions throughout the academic year if space is available. Please contact the Chair or Vice-Chair if you have questions about joining the SCC as a voting member.
- Attend a meeting: Our meetings are open to the public; parents are always welcome. You don’t need to sign up, just drop in! It’s a great way to find out what’s happening at West High. Towards the end of the meeting, there is an “Opportunity for the community to bring forth questions and concerns” which is your chance to have your voice heard.
- Contact a member of the SCC to voice your opinion. The parent members are representatives for all parents at West, and will speak for you if needed. We would love to hear from you. Email addresses for SCC members can be found to the right on this page.
The West High SCC will have a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 15 parent/guardian members. The SCC strives to equitably represent the West High student and family community. A group of parents who feel that they are not adequately represented on the SCC may petition the council for an additional representative position. Employee members must always be at least 2 fewer than the number of parent/guardian members.
If the number of parents willing to serve exceeds the seats available, elections will be held in September, with public notice of the election (positions available and how to declare candidacy, as well as and when, where, how to vote) from the principal at least least 10 days before voting. Terms are two years long, starting the first day of school. At the last meeting of the school year, a Chair will be elected from the parent/guardian members, and a Vice Chair will be elected from the parent/guardian or employee members. Term is one year long, and is renewable.
Members’ attendance at meetings is important to our success. If a member misses 2 or more meetings in a row, they may be removed by a vote of the committee. We operate under the principles of Shared Governance, using informal parliamentary procedures. (Both can be found in the Shared Governance Guide found on the SCC page of the West High website.)